"I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing . . . and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." Genesis 12: 2, 3
As 2012 approaches, the South Florida Church of Christ claims the theme "A Blessing to All Nations" as our focus for the new year. Congregationally, God's call to be a blessing fosters admiration for and imitation of the church in Antioch (Acts 11: 19 ff) as a model of sacrifice and missionary zeal. Like Antioch, South Florida is positioned both geographically and culturally to be a "sending" church of high impact. To that effect, church leadership outlined our outreach and vision - "The Antioch Initiative" - at a recent All Church Worship service.
- South Florida School of Missions – The School of Missions was established in 2009 to train those interested in being missionaries in South America. Several church leaders from South America received in-depth teaching and training; in addition, ministers were found to lead two churches. In 2012, scheduled guest speakers include Doug and Vicki Jacoby, Joey Harris, Tom and Sheila Jones, Steve Brown, JP and Pat Tynes and Sam and Geri Laing.
- GO (Graduates Overseas) Program – Young men and women can experience the mission field at a sister church in South America. Last summer, four students shared their faith, helped make disciples and encouraged the church in Ascuncion, Paraguay.
- MDO (Mature Disciples Overseas) Program – South American churches hunger for the deeper bible knowledge and spiritual insight that "life experience" brings. Use your vacation time to be a blessing to another nation! Mature disciples apply!
- Dan and Mary Allison, former mission leaders in India and directors of HOPE worldwide Afghanistan, have committed to live for a period of time in Santiago, Chile. They will help to strengthen the church through in-depth bible teaching, leadership development and sharing spiritual life lessons – true MDO's!
- Campus Ministry – New disciples and future leaders are found on college campuses. Renewed vision on our campuses means focusing on Florida International University, which awards the highest number of baccalaureate degrees of any university in the country to Hispanic students. Additionally, John and Kay Hoyt (currently leading the Florida Atlantic University ministry) will be moving to Brasilia, Brazil, in January 2012 to lead the campus ministry in our sister congregation!
- Leadership Development - Being a blessing to all nations means that we must continue to share the gospel in South Florida, make disciples and raise up leaders right here at home. We are pleased to announce the appointment of Marcus and Amy Overstreet as evangelist and women's ministry leader. And we are excited to report that Sam and Geri Laing will be moving to South Florida to lead the Palm Beach region in early 2012. The Laings led the South Florida Church (then known as the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Church of Christ) from 1988-1991, and we are thrilled to have them back!
God has blessed us abundantly. Let's honor Him and become a blessing to those who are near – our families, our co-workers, our neighbors and friends – and to those who are far, to all nations!